Saturday, May 1, 2010

Micro Ag and BurbFarming

Seems like there have been a multitude of movements covering backyard farming, gardening, beekeeping, raising chickens etc. Even in the big city you have folks stashing chickens and bees on their roof and growing tomatoes off of their balconies. In my opinion (and I have many) they are doing this to try and get back some of what we have lost when we all packed up and stuffed ourselves into the towns and cities. Well I don't want to start a movement, I have my political opinions and ideas, but I'm hardly "Political" by any means. I just want to do whats fun and enjoyable to me. There are a lot of things in life that you can do that causes a lot of sweat and dirt and sore muscles at the end of the day that you really don't enjoy. However yard work, and gardening etc. Is a hobby I found that I can get all of those thing and still enjoy at the end of the day. Also I like to build things, and invent things. Not necessarily for the act of inventing either. If I need something I'll walk around and brainstorm till I find enough tools and objects to throw together what I am making. Its not always pretty but usually its functional. For example: The handle on one of the toilets in my house broke a few years ago. I walked out into the garage and found some tools, I knew what it would take to fix it... Roughly. I just needed to find something that would work. Turns out an old spoon in my kitchen drawer fit the bill. Well that spoon is still sitting there as the inside workings to that toilet years later. Like I said I don't want to start a movement or change the world. I just want to have fun and enjoy what I do. So when I use words like MicroAg and BurbFarm I'm just taking the spoons I find in the drawers of my mind and using them in unforeseen ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment