Thursday, May 27, 2010

Neighbors, and Bees, and City-Inspectors, Oh My!!

I came home from work today and started working in my Garden that sits next to my Hives. About ten minutes later a City pickup pulled up out front. I can't say I've been waiting for this day, but it wasn't overly surprising to me either. The city worker inside walked up and asked if he could look at my Hives, Well they were sitting right there 10 feet in front of him. As a matter of fact they sit in full view of the street. Anyway, he just mentioned that a neighbor had called and was wondering if I needed to move the Hives at all. Apparently the neighbor told the City that the bees were "Attacking" them while they were mowing and working in the Yard. I told him, that that was rather strange since the Guard bees couldn't even see the neighbors yard. I work out in my garden that is 5 feet away from the "View" of the guard bees and they rarely even mess with me, and even then they just come up and say hi, sometimes landing on my arm and take a sniff. I also told him that my son literally runs our lawnmower right against the fence that sits 6 inches from the bees, but since they are blocked by a tarp they don't ever mess with him either. Well apparently the Inspector from the city has seen a few hives in his time. He said "Well they look to be at least 10 feet from your neighbors fence and I don't see any reason why you'd need to move them." I pulled out my Beekeepers License from the state, he glanced at it, and told me to have a good afternoon. I am thankful to see Bee friendly authoritarian figures in the world. Especially in my local world lol.


You can see the neighbors fence to the Right, And the back part of the fence that my son Mows past.

No comments:

Post a Comment