Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Troof in Advertising!

I purchased my "Huckleberries" from a small local nursery. They were an impulse buy, I've never grown huckleberries before so when I saw the pony flat with four plants I thought it sounded pretty cool, and for a buck how could I go wrong right? Well after I got them home I planted them and let them grow. Well after awhile I started to look up "growing huckleberries" to see if there was anything I could do improve the harvest etc. And I was initially kind of surprised that most info I came across said that Huckleberries are closely related to Blueberries. And I thought to myself... boy these sure don't "look" anything like blueberry bushes. So today I started looking again and I realized that I was growing "Garden" Huckleberries. Which are not even related at all to real Huckleberries. Years ago they were cultivated as "sunberries" or Wonderberries, and just recently many home gardeners have been bringing them back. The Garden Huckleberry is a cousin to the Tomato which is part of the nightshade family. And the berries need to be cooked before they can be used and apparently they aren't near as tasty as real Huckleberries as they require a fair amount of sugar to sweeten them up. Ah well they look purty and they are growing like nobody's business.

Garden "Huckleberries", a.k.a Wonderberries, a.k.a Sunberries.


Genuine Huckleberries.


So when Doc Holliday said "I'm your Huckleberry" He meant the latter because he was a genuine article too!

No comments:

Post a Comment